- Installation of the 130m long temporary tunnel structure
- Fit-out services (Network Rail Stores, Virgin Ticket Office)
- Construction of temporary and permanent accommodation
The scope of works for this project is vast, starting with initial construction of temporary accommodation, fit out of ticket offices, management suites and toilets. The biggest challenge however is the installation of the 130m long prefabricated ‘dispersal’ tunnel connecting existing platforms to the new part of the station, allowing demolition and refurbishment to continue around it, and ensuring the safety of the public. This is being built within a live station environment, with over 120,000 people using the station every day. The tunnel is being installed in sections overnight, and the logistical challenge is being carefully managed by regular planning and coordination meetings with detailed daily works schedules developed and maintained.
The project team has had a number of successes so far, notably a current score of 93% on the Contractor Performance Rating and the Concourse Contractor of the Month award on several occasions, whilst delivering three projects on time.
In addition, we are delighted to have introduced a community investment element to this project, by employing three apprentices as part of the ‘Investing in Birmingham People’ initiative.
Key project features:
– Very Good BREEAM Rating, including the use of sustainable recycled carpet.
– Community investment, employment of three Elliott Thomas apprentices.
– Taylor’s Hoists was Concourse Contractor of the Month and received a Contractor Performance Rating of 93%.
– Working in one of the busiest Rail stations in the UK.